[Divunal-devel] Color

Michael Dartt jedin@twistedmatrix.com
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 16:47:54 -0400 (EDT)

Hm.  I'd want to hear what you consider a "tasteful way" to use colored
text in the game.  I think that, in many cases, it would become the
equivalent of the "hot spot" that you get in, e.g. Myst, Grim Fandango,
or Baldur's Gate, which isn't really useful in a game where you can
interact with nearly everything, and would shift the focus from figuring
out what you can do with what stuff to the stuff that is highlighted.

Used anywhere else (e.g. coloring the text of something blue instead of
saying that it's blue), I see it detracting from the game's
story-/novel-like format.  The "color" should come from the way things
are written, to my mind.  (After all, do novels use colored text?)

One thing that could be cool that colored text could come in handy for
is "god notes", i.e. being able to put a message on an object that only
gods can see.  This could be handy for checking out the world, noting
errors, giving suggestions, etc.  On the other hand, it might be more
true to the paradigm to have these notes be something like Post-it(TM)
notes instead of an addendum to the description.

Anyway.  That's my quick $0.02.  If I've completely missed your point,
let me know.  @:-)

--Mike