[Divunal-devel] Problem and obstructions

Michael Dartt mad96@hampshire.edu
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 10:38:19 -0400 (EDT)

[Wacky steel door stuff]

> I will hopefully figure out some way to fix this, but until that time,
> here's what you should do -- *finish your door* before you obstruct
> anything with it.  Synonyms will only propogate to the room in which the
> door is located.

	The reason I was confused and sent this to the list is b/c I
didn't see the problem with anything else; and since I didn't make the
steel door, I don't know what nifty things its creator might have done to
it.  (Though it looks normal enough.)  The solid oak door I made in that
room that obscures the east exit works just fine.  If the problem was
repeatable, it'd have been easier for me to figure out how to fix it, but
this just looked random.

[Obstructing stuff]

> You have either been hitting that crackrock a little too hard lately, or
> you've been doing too much with HTML :-).

	Yes, and yes.  From my experience, the one generally precedes the
other.

I won't even discuss the
> performance problems with parsing out HTML in a massively multiplayer
> environment -- they should be obvious.
>
> Walk around Tenth's house (especially the Science Fiction Room entrance)
> and take a look at how the doors work there.  There is no generalized way
> to do this yet, but (as you can see from the Tenth example) there are so
> many things beyond a general "obscured" message that you might want that
> it didn't seem useful to have a generalized version at the time.

	Will do.

	Here's an alternative: attach the text to the door itself.  Since
updating occurs anyway when the door opens or closes (or is supposed
to--had problems with this as well in the GHBR), why not have the
additional text be handled by the same thing?  That way, it's just a
simple matter of adding or removing something, which you're doing anyway.