[Twisted-Python] suggestions for naming to help us preserve a Twisted trademark

Drew Smathers drew.smathers at gmail.com
Thu May 29 22:10:10 MDT 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 11:43 PM,  <glyph at divmod.com> wrote:
> On 12:52 am, waterbug at pangalactic.us wrote:
>>
>> I think trademarking "twisted" is a good idea, if only to have
>> a prior claim in the (unlikely) event someone else should
>> try to claim it for something in the context of software.
>
> Thanks.
>>
>> I'm not enthusiastic about "twisty" as a naming standard for
>> anything -- partly from jml's observations and partly just some
>> aversion to it that I don't understand myself -- if I don't
>> mind "twisted", why would "twisty" bother me?  I dunno.
>
> I am not particularly enthusiastic about the term myself, personally.  I
> think we need some word to fill that role (the one that "Py" fills for
> Python) but please feel free to suggest something else.  It doesn't have to
> be a full word - "Py" isn't.  "Twi"?  (Quick, someone come up with a home
> lighting control project that uses twisted so we can have "TwiLight".)

I think "Twi" is problematic because it's on the cusp of becoming a
word, or even worse, too easily mistaken for an acronym (and a rather
pedestrian sounding acronym due to the closeness to the airliner TWA).
 Also Twi SNMP, Twi Storage, and Twi Goodies all sound (and read)
horribly as project names.  My vote is for just "Tw" or the word
"Twist".

--