[Twisted-Python] suggestions for naming to help us preserve a Twisted trademark

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Sat May 31 13:27:15 MDT 2008

On 12:14 am, duncan.mcgreggor at gmail.com wrote:
>Man, I think you totally hit it on the nose with your "tx" suggestion:
>tx.snmp, tx.storage. I maintain the Twisted-JSONRPC package, and I
>will change the namespace from twisted.web.jsonrpc to tx.jsonrpc. Not
>only does it have a cool sound, entails "TwistedmatriX", is associated
>with "transmit", but it could also stand for "Twisted eXtensions" (in
>the "add on" sense).

Thanks for the encouragement :) but a minor point: I think it's
important that these packages use 'py' in the same way most projects do,
since sharing namespaces in Python is such a pain.  i.e. in pygame you
do 'import pygame', in pygtk you do 'import gtk'.  The existence of the
separate 'py' library / namespace complicates matters somewhat, but
that's a single entity that has nothing to do with 99% of the PyFoo
projects out there.

So these names would be 'txjsonrpc', 'txsnmp', 'txstorage', et. al.

It seems like different people have different ideas for this convention,
which sounds great to me too.  If we have a few "Twisty XYZ" libraries
and a few "TxABC" libraries that's fine by me :).  The whole point here
is that it's a suggestion and a convention, not a mandate from the core
team like so many things in the Twistedverse.