[Twisted-Python] Volunteering for Release Manager

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Tue Jul 7 04:07:15 MDT 2009

On 07:54 am, jml at mumak.net wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>With some trepidation and a complete willingness to fail, I'm offering
>my services as Twisted release manager, starting Tuesday next week.

Hooray!
>I have only two questions:
>  - Am I accepted?

MWAHAHAHAHAHA, WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM!

By which I mean, "yes".  radix and exarkun have both dedicated some
effort to making this release happen, and I'm sure we'll all continue to
help you in this role, but there has been a discernable ... lack of
enthusiasm for anyone to wear the official "release manager" hat.  We
all appreciate your brave sacrifice.
>  - Where do I begin?

There is a ticket, <http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/3860>, which
you will now find is assigned to you.

Some work has already taken place to update the NEWS files on a branch
for that ticket, which is the bulk of the work associated with the
releases, but it's not complete.  Also, since this branch was made, some
features have been added and some regressions fixed, so it should be
merged forward.

So, you should start with those two things.  Once that's done, it needs
to be reviewed and merged, like a regular branch.  Since you've been so
gracious as to be the release manager, I'll volunteer for some deputy-
release-manager responsibilities and be personally responsible for that
review.  I don't mind if somebody beats me to it, but let me know when
you think you'll be done and I'll make an effort to be available on IRC
to do the review immediately once you're done.

There are still some outstanding tickets in the "8.2+1" milestone: you
should either harass someone to fix them, or remove them from the
milestone and roll them over into a new one, so that they don't linger
past the actual release: <http://bit.ly/twisted-9-milestone>.

Finally, you have to actually cut the release.  A bewildering array of
out-of-date, incomplete, and incorrect information about how to do that
can be found here:

    <http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/ReleaseProcedure>

and can be inferred from here:

    <http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/ReleaseAutomation>

Chris can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the most up-to-date and
correct information is to be found encoded in the tools linked from
tickets on the ReleaseAutomation page.  There are a couple of command-
line tools which you have to run, and once you've got their output it
should be fairly obvious what to do.

Thanks again, and good luck!