[Twisted-Python] Questions about adding documentation

Dave Britton dave at davebritton.com
Fri Jul 31 09:48:49 MDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: Kevin Horn
"Sometimes I think what is needed is someone who knows basically nothing
about Twisted to go about learning it...and then writing down how they did
it."

I'm trying to do this, by keeping notes as I learn twisted to build a custom
email system. It's hard to admit how dumb I feel sometimes though.
Frequently what happens is I get stuck when something doesn't work, and
while searching through the docs I stumble upon something I already read
earlier and thought I understood, and in re-reading it I get an insight or
better understanding of what the doc means now that I can connect it to a
specific problem and I have more experience. That's not usually how I use or
experience documentation. Generally I use documentation to first find out
what the tool is able to do, what it's supposed to be good for and good at,
and then when I want to exploit one of those things I drill down to the
specific instructions for it. That's hard to do as the docs are now, proably
because the specific instructions depend so much on other specific
instructions you may not know about yet.

-Dave