[Twisted-Python] Questions about adding documentation

Phil Christensen phil at bubblehouse.org
Fri Jul 31 11:22:36 MDT 2009

On Jul 31, 2009, at 1:11 PM, Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:
> As a staging area for development of future core docs, I think I would
> recommend using a version control system (perhaps a distributed one),
> not a wiki.

What I was suggesting originally was that a wiki would be a staging
ground for those core docs. IMO, traditional version control is not
generally well-suited for collaborative document development.

I guess what I'm thinking is, no one likes writing docs, so when we
have to good fortune to encounter someone who does, let's make it as
easy as possible.

> As something intended to be user-facing, I don't think it's a great
> idea.
> Of course, there *is* a wiki hosted on the website already...  And
> it has
> some documentation on it...  So what's being proposed, exactly? :)

True. I guess there's only two considerations.

  1. Using the current Trac installation for a user-edited wiki might
     convey that the contents are endorsed by Twisted proper.

  2. Although I've become fairly used to it, Trac's wiki isn't the
     greatest, and more importantly, Trac itself sometimes seems to
     be held together with bubble gum and scotch tape.

-phil