[Twisted-Python] Twisted receiving buffers swamped?

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Jan 19 13:29:18 MST 2015

>>> That's ok for me.
>>> I guess we will create something in-house that fits what we need.
>
>> I don't think I am following this conversation.
>> What do you mean by "in-house"?
>
> From how I understood Jean-Paul, he thinks using WAMP to hook up test infrastructure components (like load probes, test orchestrators and test database backend) is a bad idea, and HTTP/REST should be used instead.
>
> I have a different view on this for technical reasons - but, admitted, also because I am affiliated with WAMP and have zero time to invest in stuff that I am not interested in / have no need for - that is HTTP/REST, and the server bits to make that fly. It'll be _more_ work on HTTP/REST, and less capable.
>
> Anyway. I think WAMP is a great choice to hook up components of a distributed test system - which is what I am after (e.g. I want to orchestrate 10 TCP load probes running on different machines, stressing a target TCP echo server).
>
> This difference in opinion might be because we have different _scopes/requirements_ to start from. Or not. I don't know.

This is Jean-Paul's personal opinion on the implementation choices involved.  This is only really relevant if JP is going to be working on the performance testing framework directly or needs to interact with the WAMP bits directly.  If you're the one doing the work, you get to make the technology choices and, within certain reasonable constraints like "no PHP", I'm sure that we would be happy to run whatever performance testing system you come up with if it satisfies our requirements and has a reasonable API.

> So I thought, for the time being, it might be better if we (Tavendo) develop something for internal use / privately ("in-house"), and probably come again / show something when we actually have it running.

Well, we'd want to see something that actually works before officially standardizing Twisted on it anyway, but please feel free to share it early.  I guarantee you that we will not reject something simply for using WAMP :-).

> Regarding the "charting sub-issue":
>
> I came across https://plot.ly/
>
> This is kinda cool and very quick to get started:
>
> http://picpaste.com/pics/Clipboard01-i4Karh0D.1421692351.png
>
> It does histograms and tons of fancy stuff and hosts everything for free.

This is hosted-service only?  Not that that's a dealbreaker, I guess, we are pretty sure we're going to move everything to Github anyway...

-glyph