[Twisted-Python] Branch name convention

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Mar 16 12:53:55 MDT 2015

> On Mar 16, 2015, at 11:20 AM, Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I would like to ask why the  twisted branch name convention ask for
> trailing ticket ID.
>
> Why not leading ID?
>
> some-text-1234 vs 1234-some-text
>
> -----
>
> The default git auto completion script only does search at the start
> of the string.
>
> When I work on a ticket I know the ticket number but I always forget
> the name of the branch... so I have to search it inside the Trac
> ticket.
>
> It is not a big deal and I know that there are greater annoyances in
> Twisted dev process but I am curios if there is someone else who don't
> like this convention and if there is any chance of changing it.

When we started this it seemed like the descriptive name would be easier to remember than the opaque ticket number.  I agree that was the wrong call, oddly enough, I do remember the ticket numbers more.  That said, we can switch as soon as all the currently outstanding branches are landed and deleted: https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/browser/branches <https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/browser/branches> ;-)

-glyph