[Twisted-Python] Trial not operating on current working dir & Sunsetting Python 3.3

Amber "Hawkie" Brown hawkowl at atleastfornow.net
Sat Aug 27 20:11:23 MDT 2016

Hi everyone!

Two things to let you all know in this email:

1. The new trial console script does not add the current directory to the PATH. Meaning, you can't use it to test a checkout of your code anymore! Instead, you should only use it for things that are actually on your path -- we recommend using something like tox to automate installing your package and testing your code. Hynek goes into detail here: https://hynek.me/articles/testing-packaging/ . If you really want to do this, you can use 'python -m twisted.trial', but you should really be testing installed versions of your code instead!

2. The next release of Twisted (tentatively named 16.5) will be the last to support Python 3.3. It's not in any LTS platforms, and the only reason we cared was PyPy3 -- but PyPy3.3.5 is not exactly production ready, and since they're working hard on the move to 3.5, I think there's no reason hanging around on 3.3. Hence, 16.5 will still support it in line with our compat policy, but 16.6 (the next release -- might be called 16.11 or 16.12 by that time!) will drop it completely.

Enjoy 16.4.0!

- Amber