[Twisted-Python] RFC: IPv6 multicast join/ticket 6597

Cory Benfield cory at lukasa.co.uk
Thu Aug 4 11:18:48 MDT 2016

> On 4 Aug 2016, at 17:03, Jason Litzinger <jlitzingerdev at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> When you say *no* interfaces, do you mean actually no interfaces? As in, no loopback as well?
>
> I do not, sorry, that was poorly worded.  The loopback interface was
> up for all test runs, and all other interfaces on my machine (ethernet
> and wifi) were down.  Down in this context has two meanings (I tested
> both):
> 1.  I manually took the interface down with "ifconfig <iface> down"
> 2.  I disconnected from my wireless network, so I had no address
> assigned to any interface save the loopback.
>
> In both cases, tests that pass with connectivity will fail due to the
> index parameter.
>
> I did try specifying the loopback index, however, I received a
> "Network Unreachable" error.  I didn't have time to dig into whether
> it was possible to do what I wanted with the loopback interface last
> night.

So with the caveat that I am not the author of most of these tests, and I don’t understand their special circumstances…

My intuition is that no interface other than the loopback should be required to run the Twisted tests. The loopback should be sufficient to test pretty much anything that Twisted has to test. As a result, if things fail in that scenario, I’d consider it a bug.

Cory