[Twisted-Python] INCOMPATIBLE CHANGE: twisted.python.dist renamed to twisted.python._setup

Amber "Hawkie" Brown hawkowl at atleastfornow.net
Sun Aug 7 18:25:48 MDT 2016

> On 8 Aug 2016, at 08:15, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at crodrigues.org> wrote:
>

> On Sun, Aug 7, 2016 at 4:15 PM, Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com <mailto:glyph at twistedmatrix.com>> wrote:
>
>> On Aug 7, 2016, at 4:19 AM, Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro <mailto:adi at roiban.ro>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to remove twisted.python.dist as a public API without following the 1 year deprecation processes.
>>
>> The module has a comment which informs people not to use it outside of Twisted, but I think it should be private module instead.
>>
>> The ticket is here https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/8622 <https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/8622>
>> The PR is here https://github.com/twisted/twisted/pull/467 <https://github.com/twisted/twisted/pull/467>
>> The branch is here https://github.com/twisted/twisted/tree/8622-setup-coverage <https://github.com/twisted/twisted/tree/8622-setup-coverage>
>>
>> This is part of the setup.py cleanup effort for having most of the setup.py code outside of setup.py itself so that we can test it as part of the automated test suite.
>>
>> twisted.python.dist3 was kept as a private API as it is already used  by https://github.com/habnabit/twisted-depgraph <https://github.com/habnabit/twisted-depgraph>
>>
>> Please let me know if you are using twisted.python.dist outside of Twisted and are against this change or if you approve it.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> +1 from me!
>

> -1 from me.  dist.py probably should have been a private API from the beginning, but it slipped through the cracks.
> However, what has been done is done.  This change seems gratuitous and pointless with
> no benefits to anybody.
>
> --
> Craig

I believe there's a point to it -- that is, we make it clear what is and what isn't user API. It's always said it in the header, but we should codify that it's really not user API. Plus it being private means we can make what changes we need for future setup.py changes, without deprecating things that nobody but us should ever use.

+1 from me.

- Amber