[Divunal-devel] the parser and the preposition

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph@divunal.com
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 11:36:40 -0400 (EDT)

Hmm.

I know that this is a problem, although I thought I had finally got it
rigged up to properly say "in what?"

Prepositions in quotes do need to be handled differently than prepositions
that are not in quotes.  I am not quite sure how to do this using the
current model. (If someone else does, just go fix it, as long as you don't
break anything else) Since this is almost never a problem except for
authoring stuff, I don't think it's a very important bug to fix, because
you can work around it rather easily.  Just 'sketch Class_Sittable' and
fill in your preposition string there.

Perhaps 'string' should have an editor of its own?

--glyph

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Phil Christensen wrote:

> There seems to be a problem with the parser and the way it deals with
> prepositions. I've noticed this when trying to add properties to an
> object. The best example i've found is when you're trying to make
> something "sittable" (on a side note, i've put a Class_Sittable in the
> class room for an easy way to do so -- but it still has it's problems
> because of this, read on)...

> So that's why I think it has something to do with the parser....it's
> seeing a preposition "in" too soon, and not acknowledging the fact that
> it's in quotes.

You are indeed correct.  The parser code shouldn't be *too* obtuse.

Does anybody think I should just break down and use the twisted.util.parse
libs to write a *real* parser for this? :-)