[Divunal-devel] darkness...

Phil Christensen evil_ivan@yahoo.com
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 08:56:10 -0700 (PDT)

I think i'd like to defend my idea that darkness should be dealt with
by look. I understand the complications involved, but still, I think
this is the way to to it. Here's why:

1.) When (in RL) you're in a dark room, you may not be able to see
anything, but you can still pick up object in the room, if you know
where it is.
2.) Given that in TR, you "know where an object is" by knowing it's
name, you should still be able to take/use something in a dark room,
providing you know it's name (which would not be supplied by a dark
version of look). After all, you can exit a dark room, even though you
can't see any of the exits.
3.) I dare to think that the TR codebase is suffering from additive
design. I think we should make a conscious effort to try to abstract
things as much as possible. If something like darkness deals only with
the way people see things (which i think it should), then look should
be the verb affected.

Anyways, that's how I see it...(um, pun not intended)...

-phil