[Divunal-devel] Faucet on Windows

Evil Ivan evil_ivan@yahoo.com
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 05:27:18 -0700 (PDT)

--- James Knight <jknight@MIT.EDU> wrote:
> At 6:31 PM -0400 6/24/99, Evil Ivan wrote:
> >Part of the "responsibility" of working with Java
[snip snip snip]
> Bullshit. Needing to know anything about a JVM in
> order to use a java
> application indicates that there is a design flaw in
> either the JVM or the
> program. Computers are meant to work, and if they
> don't, that means the
> programmer messed up.
[snip snip snip]

That attitude is what's ruining the computing world. It's not going to
kill someone to know how to use a tool like a JVM that is required to
run hundreds (eventually thousands...millions) of programs.

We DO expect people to know simple things about what OS they're using
when they install a game or other software application.

We DO expect people to know how to drive a car when they get in one.

Then why shouldn't they be expected to know how to set a CLASSPATH and
correctly type a full package name? Hell, I'm not saying they'd even
have to know that; all THEY'D have to know is to read a README file.

-phil