[Twisted-Python] bringing LDAP back

Hynek Schlawack hs at ox.cx
Tue Jul 1 04:56:24 MDT 2014

On 1 Jul 2014, at 12:14, Bret Curtis wrote:

> With that said, lets get this ball rolling.
>
> Firstly, we'll need a repo to get started with. My company (Amplidata)
> has it's own fork, but I think it is best we start with a clone, not a
> direct fork as github would have us do, of tv42s repo.

Agreed.

> We can either:
> 1) Move (donate) tv42's repo to Twisted, this means that all links to
> tv42/Ldaptor would automatically be forwarded to Twisted/Ldaptor.
> 2) Twisted creates it's own Ldaptor repo, I or someone else clones
> this and then merge TV42's repo in, commit/push and file a merge
> request with Twisted/Ldaptor.

Depends entirely on Tommi (cc’ed), I don’t care which route we take.

> We're, of course, open to other suggestions, but those two above seem
> the best options. From there, we can start dealing with other issues
> such as:

0) Do the fixes to setup.py that everyone has in their private repos and
put it on PyPI.

> A) What to do with the UI part of Ldaptor. Who, if anyone, still uses
> it? Do we trim it out or just mark it as deprecated since it relies on
> old versions of twisted and nevow.

I wish we could just rip it out.  If there’s really a significant
amount of people that use this, they build an ldaptor-ui package.

> B) Pull in downstream patches from Redhat, SuSE and Debian.
> C) Replace remaining bits of non-MIT code.
> D) Get back to tv42's Todo list. :)

E) Start writing documentation. :(  *Something*. Currently there is only
some slides and examples and it’s up to the user to read the source
code and figure out what ldaptor actually can do (which is kind of *a
lot*).

Cheers, I’m very glad we have some movement here,
—h