[Divunal-devel] Broken net/changes

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph@divunal.com
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 17:40:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, RHS Linux User wrote:

> Well, the nice sysadmins at the AI lab broke the routing to my house,
> so I've been mostly out of touch for the last 4 days. (its STILL
> broken grrr...) Anyways, I wrote a verb Socials that reads 'standard'
> socials from a file and handles them all.

Wonderful!! As soon as you commit code, you should write something
describing how one could write a 'socials' file (I'm assuming this is
line-based?) and let the authors list know about it.  We should have at
least 100 or so socials so people don't have to emote everything
(removing some of the possibility for mistyping).  We really must start
giving those people who want mostly to write some code to work with, and
relieving some of the pressure of writing from people who just want to
code.

> Once I get net access back I'll commit this code. Also there is a bug
> in Player/Sentence that causes a NullPointerException if a verb
> returns false and there are no other verbs available. Haven't fixed
> that yet. I did fix the parser so it ignores preps in quotes tho. And
> as self-appointed project leader of the Java Faucet, i'll check out
> the JConsolePanel thingy also as soon as they fix my net access. If
> the speed osm isn't too bad, it sounds good. I'm kinda worried that it
> might be somewhat slow though, and the input field really shouldn't be
> slow, as that is what will be getting used the absolute most in the
> client. I'm gonna be gone from next sat to sat after, so don't expect
> to find me then.

Are you going to have network access before you take off for the weekend?
(I don't suppose I'll get an answer to that question, but I sure would
like to ... ^_^)

Also, what is "speed osm"?

I have a sentimental attachment to ConsolePanel (it was the first thing I
ever wrote in Java) but I think Phil's probably right that it's just
faster to use Swing's stuff...  ConsolePanel is also pretty feature-weak.
If we're going to continue to use it in the Java version, it needs to be
really, really revamped.

--glyph