[Divunal-devel] Faucet on Windows

Evil Ivan evil_ivan@yahoo.com
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 15:31:55 -0700 (PDT)

--- Michael Dartt <mad96@hampshire.edu> wrote:
> I seem to be the only one here who doesn't
> understand this, but I'll ask
> anyway: What do you mean by "learn how to use a Java
> VM rather than
> relying on batch files (or shell scripts...."?

i'm just saying that there's this idea going on in the world that
things like command-line options should be hidden from the user. So, in
a situation like the one you experienced, your first reaction (and many
others if it had happened to them) was to instantly say, "it doesn't
work, i should use a different program/OS" rather than trying to
determine what went wrong.

People these days won't take a look inside a batch file (or shell
script) to see why it's not working. Worse yet, they don't realize that
all the file (at least in the case of faucet) is doing is executing a
command that the user could simply type in on a console. But we can't
let the user have to use a command-line prompt! Oh no!

Part of the "responsibility" of working with Java applications is
learning how to use the Java Virtual Machine you're running them in
(i.e. either "jre" or "java").

Sorry if I sounded like i was insulting you, because i wasn't. I was
sort of stating an idea about the way we deal with computers. It's
simply that I would rather see a Java program distributed with a README
file and a bit of faith, rather than a script meant to shield people
from having to think.

Sorry for the long-winded reply...
-phil